Did you know that uric acid causes pain when it accumulates in small and large joints?

WHAT IS URIC ACID

Uric acid is a waste product found in blood. It’s created when the body breaks down chemicals called purines. Most uric acid dissolves in the blood, passes through the kidneys and leaves the body in urine. Food and drinks high in purines also increase the level of uric acid.

NORMAL RANGE OF URIC ACID

Adult male: 4.0-8.5 mg/dL or 0.24-0.51 mmol/L
Adult female: 2.7-7.3 mg/dL or 0.16-0.43 mmol/L
Elderly: A slight increase in values may occur
Child: 2.5-5.5 mg/dL or 0.12-0.32 mmol/L
Newborn: 2.0-6.2 mg/dL

SYMPTOMS PRODUCE AFTER ACCUMULATION OF URIC ACID

Symptoms of gout may include:

severe pain in your joints
joint stiffness
difficulty moving affected joints
redness and swelling
misshapen joints.

What is high uric acid level?
Uric acid is a waste product found in blood. It’s created when the body breaks down chemicals called purines. Most uric acid dissolves in the blood, passes through the kidneys and leaves the body in urine.

Most of the time, a high uric acid level occurs when your kidneys don’t eliminate uric acid efficiently. Things that may cause this slow-down in the removal of uric acid include rich foods, being overweight, having diabetes, taking certain diuretics (sometimes called water pills) and drinking too much alcohol. Other less common causes are a diet high in purine-containing items or your body producing too much uric acid.

How is high uric level treated?
If you’re having a gout attack, medication can be used to reduce the inflammation, pain and swelling. You should drink plenty of fluids, but avoid alcohol and sweet soft drinks. Ice and elevation are helpful.

Kidney stones may eventually pass out of the body in urine. Drinking more fluid is important. Try to drink at least 64 ounces daily (8 glasses at eight ounces a piece). Water is best.

Your doctor may also prescribe medications that help stones pass by relaxing the muscles in the ureter, the duct that urine passes through to get from the kidney to the bladder.

If the stone is too large to pass, blocks the flow of urine or causes an infection, it might be necessary to surgically remove the stone.

Click on the link below and join us for quick information about the disease and any other information.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/EU6dzIHe3oa3CweYsS5cNS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here